Tuesday, September 21, 2010

a little tribute to some of my favorite sculptors

Barbara Hepworth
a friend to Henry Moore (http://henrymoore.com/) she worked in organicism also, but with a geometric quality. her work is usually refered to as : geometric organism. Hepworth was influenced by ancient cultures including Easter Island figures. She called her abstractions, "figures in a landscape"

some of my favorite pieces. love..love..love her work with strings

Sculpture with Color (oval form) Pale Ble and Red, 1943


Stringed Figure (curlew)-version 1, Brass with Srings, 1956

check out more of her work @ http://www.barbarahepworth.org.uk/

David Smith
David Smith was the best known sculptor and the first American to achieve international fame.He started creating welded constructions by using found objects and forged metal. Which I personally feel where a lot stronger rather than some of his paintings. amazing quote: "If you ask me why I make sculpture, I must answer it is my way of life, my balance, and my justification for being." David Smith

some of my favorite pieces
Becca, 1965. Stainless steel. 113 1/4″ x 123″ x 30 1/2″
The Forest 1950


(and finally one of my present obsessions)
Judy Pfaff

Pfaff creates paintings, sculpture, prints, and installation art. Of the creation of her work, she says "I’ve always done prints and drawings, always. No one buys those installations, so when you see things that are portable that I’m not attached to, they’re probably two-dimensional. If you get an installation of mine, you inherit [my assistant] Ryan, myself, a crew, the dog, the noise, the dirt. We wreck the house. So if you don’t want that, then you get prints and drawings." Her installation art has been compared to that of "a collagist in space."

favorite works
Barcelona, 1990

another cinderella project 1988-1989


Untitled, 1988



No comments:

Post a Comment